Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Know Your Nationals - Garrett Thul

Garrett Thul, the West Point product, was drafted in the third round by the Hamilton National. Thul had a career high night against the Boston Cannons on July 27th, collecting six points from his five goals. This season, he has 13 points (10+3+0) in just five games. He made his MLL debut in Denver on June 8th, putting in three goals against the Outlaws. Hamilton Nationals Digital Media Coordinator Becca Luden had a chance to sit down with Garrett and talk about his lacrosse career.

How did you get started in lacrosse?
Actually I had a mentor. He’s 10 years older than I and is my dad’s brother’s son. He ended up going to West Point and was captain of the lacrosse team. He got me into lacrosse and I started playing when I was in second grade in a program for third and fourth graders. So, I started pretty early I guess. It was mostly because of the guy that I like idolized.

Did you play any sports other than lacrosse?
I played football for a little bit.

What has been your greatest accomplishment in your lacrosse career?
I’d say from a team perspective, beating Navy five times in my career. I never lost to Navy when I was at Army. My class, my senior class, is the only class in West Point lacrosse history to go undefeated against Navy.

How do you prepare for a game, do you have any weird superstitions at all?
I always do the same eye black on my face. It’s really the only thing that I can think of. I used to have a bunch of superstitions when I was younger, but they take too much energy so I just kind of do whatever.

What is your favorite part about coming to Canada?
It’s gotta be the postgame poutine.

So is there like no poutine in the States?
I’ve heard of poutine before, but I don’t know a single place in the States that sells poutine. I think I’m just going to open up a poutine stand in New Jersey or New York.

If you had a super power which one would it be and why?
That’s a good question. I don’t know if I really ever thought about that before. I’m probably going to go with the typical meat head response and go super strength. You could lift anything and knock anything down that’d be pretty badass.

Haha. That would definitely be pretty awesome. So what song is on your I-pod that you wouldn’t want people to know about?
I love all sorts of like really corny 90’s pop music. Like, it’s the best. I have SirusXM and I always have it on 99.9 and jamming to Hanson and I don’t even remember the names of half the bands, but they’re boy band songs.

So NSYNC or Backstreet Boys?
I’m going to have to go with NSYNC on that one.

What celebrity do people tell you that you look like the most?
I don’t know the actors name, but Cameron from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".

Oh yah, I can see that for sure.
Yeah, I just don’t have a Detroit Red Wings jersey to make it perfect.

What is your favorite Disney movie?
I was just looking through my video cabinet and I saw a ton of them. But you can’t really go wrong with “Aladdin” or “Lion King”.

So how many Disney movies do you have?
Well, I have the standard collection; I have a sister so we’ve got like all of them

So you just blame your sister?
I’ll fess up to about half of them. I don’t know the exact number of how many though.

If you were to go on the show the “Amazing Race”, who from the team would you want to be your partner, and why?
That’s tough. Everybody’s got some good qualities for that. I’d probably have to go with Durkin.

Why?
He’s just an animal. I think we would tear it up. Two big meat sticks destroying everyone else.

Yah, I think you guys could probably win.
I think we would definitely win.

No comments:

Post a Comment