Monday, August 12, 2013

Know Your Nationals - Mike Poppleton

Mike Poppleton has established himself as the top faceoff man on the Hamilton Nationals this season. The former 34th overall pick out of Johns Hopkins University has played in nine games for the Nationals this season. He made his debut on June 1st against the Chesapeake Bayhawks, and scored his first MLL goal the following week against the New York Lizards. On Saturday, August 10th, he broke the team record for faceoff wins in a game, after winning 24 against the Denver Outlaws. Nationals Digital Media Coordinator had the chance to sit down with Mike to talk about his lacrosse career.

Becca Luden: So how did you get into lacrosse?

Mike Poppleton: I first got into lacrosse in sixth grade. It was probably around fifth grade when my dad just bought a lacrosse stick. I think he just went to Dicks Sporting Goods and I think it was actually a woman’s lacrosse stick. He bought one or two, and at that time, my brother and I we were playing baseball. We went in the backyard and messed around with these sticks. It wasn’t until seventh grade when I was tired of staying out in the outfield that I decided to make the switch from baseball to lacrosse.

BL: What is your greatest accomplishment in Lacrosse?

MP: Probably playing for a program like Johns Hopkins. I was fortunate enough to have a really good high school career and I was able to commit and play lacrosse at Hopkins after my junior year. It was an awesome feeling. I loved the campus, I loved the school and I loved Coach “Petro” (Dave Pietramala). Just to play at a school, with so much tradition and so many great players, was definitely my greatest accomplishment and that’s what I love about it.

BL: Awesome. So who is your athletic motivation?

MP: I would probably just say my dad. He’s always motivated me in terms of work ethic and to do well in school, and to always put in your best effort. He instilled in me the competitiveness. It always helps growing up with an older brother to play games with and try and beat one another. So it’s between my family, my dad and my brother. They are definitely the two that made me who I am today.

BL: So are you guys still really close then?

MP: Yeah, my brother is three years older than me. He never played lacrosse. He played baseball and hockey growing up. I played hockey also. Everything from ping pong to shooting basketballs outside to you name it. We were competitive and it definitely helped out. You can see it translate over to the lacrosse field.

BL: That’s always a good thing to have …So do you have any weird superstitions?

MP: I don’t do anything weird. I do something like if I tape my stick a certain way or if I eat something before a game. I usually have a good game or if I have a good game I’ll always do it the next time too. So I’m superstitious that way, but I’m not tying my right shoe first before my left shoe or anything like that I’m not that superstitious.

BL: Haha. Alright, so then how do you prepare for a game?

MP: Usually just try to relax, try to get mentally prepared. For faceoffs you have to be calm and relaxed because if you’re too amped up before a draw, I’ve come to realize, that it never ends very well. So obviously stay away from all the energy drinks and stuff that makes you real nervous. You know that gets you real fidgety. You just have to be relaxed. Usually it’s just getting your mind right. Getting stretched out properly and then going out there and doing it. So, it’s not too much preparation.


BL: What is a song on your iPod that you wouldn’t want people to know about?

MP: Let me think about that. I would have to say just faceoff whistles. If you asked me like four years ago, I could give you a song. Ever since my laptop got stolen in my sophomore year, I don’t have any music on my iPod. I only have Pandora. So Pandora is my go to. Which station would I be embarrassed about? I have Michael Buble station. When I get lonely, I’ll listen to that. But that’s probably the most embarrassing station I would have on my Pandora.  I’m proud of it though.

BL:  Haha. As long as you’re proud of it! What’s your favorite movie?

MP: You know any movie that Denzel Washington is in? “Man on Fire”, “American Gangster”. You know I’m just a big fan of Denzel Washington. I just love and enjoy any movie that he’s in, so any movie that he’s in it’s got my attention.

BL: Alright, good choices. So what Ninja Turtle are you most like?

MP: That’s tough, which one is the one that eats a lot.
BL: Michelangelo

MP: He’s the orange one. Alright, so I need to go back and watch the “Ninja Turtle” episodes. I’d definitely say Michelangelo then. I’m always hungry and in the mood to eat. So, you know he’s my guy.

BL: Good choice. What social media network do you use the most?

MP: I would say Instagram. I just got an account probably half a year ago and I’ve always been a picture guy. I go on Facebook for pictures. I’ll go on Twitter for pictures for the most part. A picture’s worth a thousand words. I think that’s how the saying goes. I like pictures, so Instagram is right up my alley. I try and follow as many people as I know to get as many pictures as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment