Friday, November 1, 2013

T-MINUS 30 DAYS UNTIL TAKE OFF ... err Launch ?

There are just 30 days until the launch of puckrant .. which may seem like quite a bit away but as well know time tends to fly! I've decided to take what Kady Hobbins (writing for the jets) started and give the readers of puckrant a chance to get to know me a little bit before they start trying to comprehend my thoughts. 

Just to start off with, I grew up on a military base until I was about 13 or 14.. and then into the "real" world as I like to call it. It was crazy and eye opening because everything was completely different from the way that it had been on the base. It was almost like I woke up on a different planet. I've come to terms with it, but there are still some things that boggle my mind a little bit. But how does that lead to me where I am now? Trying so desperately to break into the world of sports media?
Growing up, it was hockey games with Mom and Sunday football with Dad (when he was home) with lacrosse games here and there with my aunt and uncle (things haven't changed overly much). It wasn't until I was in my senior year and looking at my college and university applications and thinking "what am I supposed to do with the rest of my life" (my careers test told me to be a dog walker or truck driver) and those just were not in the cards for me! Not to mention I spent all of high school taking cake walk courses and gym. The rate I was going, I was probably going to end up with "would you like fries with that" tattooed into my brain.

I ended up taking Broadcasting for Radio and Tv at Niagara, and it was quite the roller coaster! I went through stages where I wasn't sure if it was actually what I wanted to do or not, it was stressful. Not only was the school aspect a struggle, but dealing with people that thought I had no business in sports media due to the fact that I was indeed a female. I would lose faith in myself and my abilities every now and then and it was hard to get back on track. The only people that really seemed to care for what I had to say were my parents and they are still quite possibly my number one fans. 

Honestly it wasn't until my third year of college when I finally started to get into the groove of things and focus all of my energy on graduating and starting a career. I spent the summer between my second and third year finding myself and trying to figure out where and how to start fresh. By the time school came in September I was still in the process of figuring it all out... but being able to throw myself into my work made things a little easier.

I landed my first job this past summer right out of school with the Hamilton Nationals (lacrosse) and started making connections in the world of Lacrosse. It was nearing the end of the summer and I still had no idea what to do with my time... so I started sending out e-mails all over again to work on my writing for hockey and football. It was then that Habsworld and AHLWriters decided to give me a chance and take me on as a volunteer to cover the Hamilton Bulldogs (affiliate of MTL Cdns). 

Not only have I posted Blogs for those two websites, but also have been running my own personal blog for almost five years now. I have always had a passion for writing and I never thought that it would take me to these kinds of opportunities. I've been told in the past that blogging is a waste of time and won't take anywhere ... and i've been told that I won't make it because I don't know enough. It's the people that try and hold me back, that I hope see my name come up or hear it and realize how very wrong they were. 

It wasn't until I was contacted VIA twitter with this opportunity that I realized that people did read what I wrote... but they weren't just reading it, they liked it. They liked it enough to contact me and invite me to join to their team. It was overwhelming, and It still is. Although I grew up a Canucks fan, I've been following the Canadians a lot more, due to the number of Bulldogs that end up in MTL. I'm excited to follow and write about a team that has so much history.. even if it means watching games in french. (the struggle becomes real)

Favourite Habs Player: Carey Price

There are a lot of people in my life that tend to think I have my life figured out but contrary to popular belief I do not. I'm 21, I live with my parents, I have a cat and I spend my free time either at the gym, running, blogging, or playing video games. Not to mention I have a very large addiction to candy crush. My bed side table has pop tarts, empty water bottles, and an xbox controller. Saying that, yes I am still young and I still have so much to learn. I like to compare myself to a child learning how to walk and talk... my brain is a sponge and in the midst of forming into an established writer / sports reporter. 

Fun Fact Of The Day: 
Did you know college & university textbooks are so expensive due to the Gold Paper they are printed on? 

If there's anything you want me to talk about , about myself ... just let me know ! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment